Name:
Location: Shire of Trisel, Trimaris

I am in my late forties, a proud husband, father, and a bard. I am a book pedlar by trade and a bookman by vocation. I am a romantic, a realist, and a Believer. I like a good joke, and a bad one even better. I admire all ladies for the innate beauty that is in each one, but my heart is sworn to the fair and gentle Lady Lorelei, who has consented to share my life and my name.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Said Alice to the Dormouse

Why yes, I was a philosophy major...



Said Alice to the Dormouse,
Who lay head downward in the teapot,
Losing the pat in his hair
And spoiling the tea,
“It is not rational to think
Of pigs having wings when
Common ordinary eyesight says
That such a condition does not exist.”
“But ah,” said the Dormouse
From the hollows of the teapot,
“Who invited reason into our considerations?
When reason has proved irrational, and
The obvious a lie,
Existence is no longer measured by
What the senses claim, but
As a synthesis of knowledge and speculative theory.
The fact that a winged pig
Appears to hallucinatory does not
Necessarily prove that the concept is false.
Indeed, do we even know which reality
Is the real reality,
Whether hallucination be true or false
In the quest for metaphysical being.
But the question was whether pigs have wings,
Not epistemology. Please stick to the subject.”
“But you’re making no sense!”, cried Alice, alarmed,
“There’s no reason here, only nonsense!”
“If it’s reason you wanted”, the Hatter replied,
“You would never have come into Wonderland.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home