Name:
Location: Shire of Trisel, Trimaris

I am in my late forties, a proud husband, father, and a bard. I am a book pedlar by trade and a bookman by vocation. I am a romantic, a realist, and a Believer. I like a good joke, and a bad one even better. I admire all ladies for the innate beauty that is in each one, but my heart is sworn to the fair and gentle Lady Lorelei, who has consented to share my life and my name.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Pick Up Your Weapon

I know this isn't exactly how it happened, but it does make for a very nice poem, I think.


Welcome to the other side.
You’ll find that we don’t care
How important you may be
To your followers over there.
We know that you’ve got titles
And honors to your name.
But the only thing that matters here
Is how you play the game.

Getting authorized to fight
Is only just the start.
It’s your ticket to the arena
But only plays a part.
Your stick-jock skills may prove a trick
To help you to advance.
But don’t think that they will see you to
The finals of the dance.

Even royalty must start
By learning the simplest skills.
The basics are the building blocks
That get you to the thrills.
Don’t laugh about your footwork.
Pay attention to your form;
The difference between victory
And grievous bodily harm.

And once you’ve heard the music
Of the ring of steel on steel,
Known the elegance of a well-made blade,
Her balance and her feel,
You’ll never desire to go back
To anything as crude,
Ungainly and unlovely
As a taped-up piece of wood.

The grace that marks a gentleman,
Honored in deed and word
Is born of constant practice,
A student of the sword.
Master the blade, master your heart.
The fantasy is real.
You’re baptized and made welcome
To the Brotherhood of Steel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home