Name:
Location: Shire of Trisel, Trimaris

I am in my late forties, a proud husband, father, and a bard. I am a book pedlar by trade and a bookman by vocation. I am a romantic, a realist, and a Believer. I like a good joke, and a bad one even better. I admire all ladies for the innate beauty that is in each one, but my heart is sworn to the fair and gentle Lady Lorelei, who has consented to share my life and my name.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Wisdom Quest

I sought the source of wisdom,
The legends where it's found;
In a potion or a fountain,
Or buried underground;
The cup that heroes quested for,
The scroll for which they fought;
The gift that cost them everything
And still could not be bought.

As I journeyed on my quest,
I met along the way
The lessons of experience
Attached to each new day;
The obstacles I struggled with,
The blows that left me numb,
That staggered my endurance
As I strove to overcome.

Friends and my companions
Who once walked by my side;
The loved ones who were dear to me,
No more with me abide.
They've passed into my memory,
From which they'll not return.
And yet for all my losses,
For wisdom I still yearn.

I've passed through nights of loneliness,
When all my hopes seemed dark,
In dispair of ever finding
The source of wisdom's spark.
And though the nights grow black and cold,
Still I soldier on
In pursuit of that elusive dream
Always one step beyond.

And what I have to show for it
Is less than joy sublime;
The lessons of experience gained
One footstep at a time;
Just random precious nuggets
Hidden amidst the dross;
And everything I've gained
Is balanced 'gainst a loss.

What I've gained I'll impart to you,
This last before I go.
My eyes have been opened
To what I wish I did not know.
Wisdom comes less from victory,
Than it's discovered in defeat;
And the lessons gained from wisdom
At best, are bittersweet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca at the Well said...

I really like the rythum and rhyme in this one!!! And the subject is good too!

Well done

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home