Name:
Location: Shire of Trisel, Trimaris

I am in my late forties, a proud husband, father, and a bard. I am a book pedlar by trade and a bookman by vocation. I am a romantic, a realist, and a Believer. I like a good joke, and a bad one even better. I admire all ladies for the innate beauty that is in each one, but my heart is sworn to the fair and gentle Lady Lorelei, who has consented to share my life and my name.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Meditation on Honor and Truth

When I claim the honor of a bard,
It is with the heaviest of hearts,
For I obligate myself to speak the truth
However much I know I'd rather not,
Without regard to how much it will hurt.
Knowing this reluctance, as I do,
I twist the blade deep within my own flesh
As much as I do in my listener.
For honor is a double-edged sword
That is made with neither hilt nor guard,
But must be gripped upon its razor's edge
That cuts away the falsehood from the truth
That may be hid behind the pretty words.
I am compelled by honor to speak true;
To break my silence for the truth entire,
With tears shed for the damage that I do,
Knowing that there is no guarantee
That any will be better for my words:
Rather with the expectation that,
More likely those that hear will be the worse.
So hesitate and think before you ask
That I speak only truth into your ear.
For I know the truth that you receive
May not be the truth you want to hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home