Name:
Location: Shire of Trisel, Trimaris

I am in my late forties, a proud husband, father, and a bard. I am a book pedlar by trade and a bookman by vocation. I am a romantic, a realist, and a Believer. I like a good joke, and a bad one even better. I admire all ladies for the innate beauty that is in each one, but my heart is sworn to the fair and gentle Lady Lorelei, who has consented to share my life and my name.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Lai: Honor Of A Bard

Another contribution to the Knowne Worlde Bardic List. The lai has a specific meter and rhyme scheme that makes the form a little tricky to fit into.

We two stand before
A fair lady’s door
And wait

A proud and strong knight
With honor and might,
And me.

We two both have sought,
And hopefully caught
Her eye.

We dare not betray
Fear, in any way,
Of loss.

Her door opens out.
My heart skips about
And hopes.

Her countenance bright
Shines in the light
Of morn.

Her voice is a song
That my two ears long
To hear.

Her blue linen gown
Sweeps the ground round
Her feet.

She looks at us two,
The both of us who
Love her.

On whom will she place
Her blessing of grace?
Oh, Christ!

Her eyes dance a while
And finally smile
On him.

The lady’s heart’s choice
Robs me of my voice.
I grieve.

The knight turns to say
“This will be the day
We wed.”

“Will you, Minstrel sing,
And melody bring
For us?”

My heart, it is hard,
But I am a Bard.
“My harp!”

My verses deploy
My pain, mixed with joy.
My art.

Before all who hear
My duty is clear.
I sing!

On my last refrain,
Does she entertain
Regrets?

Silence fills the hall.
They weep, one and all
Within.

I take my reward.
Honor of a Bard
Is mine!

So now, that’s my tale.
Fair lass, bring me ale.
Dear heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home