Name:
Location: Shire of Trisel, Trimaris

I am in my late forties, a proud husband, father, and a bard. I am a book pedlar by trade and a bookman by vocation. I am a romantic, a realist, and a Believer. I like a good joke, and a bad one even better. I admire all ladies for the innate beauty that is in each one, but my heart is sworn to the fair and gentle Lady Lorelei, who has consented to share my life and my name.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Shield Wall

A warrior fights for himself
To win himself renown,
A victory at tournament,
Or even gain a crown,
Increase his martial knowledge,
Display his skill at arms,
To earn the praise of poets,
To win a lady’s charms.

But when the warrior takes his place
Upon a battlefield,
Following his sovereign,
Bearing sword and shield,
He fights then, for his kingdom,
Not personal reward,
The greater glory and the good,
Which now command his sword.

His fellow warriors, left and right,
Stand guard upon his flanks.
And he, in turn, stands guard on them,
True brothers in the ranks.
United in their purpose,
They stand on holy ground.
And he would rather give his life
Than let his brothers down.

Weapons at the ready,
Their shields become a wall,
A veritable fortress
Protecting one and all.
A warrior seeking glory,
Who steps out from his place
Ensures his kingdom’s downfall,
And only earns disgrace.

No victory is certain,
However plans are laid.
But greater is the surety
When orders are obeyed.
Honor comes to him who waits
Upon his lord’s command,
The honor of the shield wall:
The integrity of the man.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's that amazing double meaning again...fighting for the Kingdom of God...I love it!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home