Name:
Location: Shire of Trisel, Trimaris

I am in my late forties, a proud husband, father, and a bard. I am a book pedlar by trade and a bookman by vocation. I am a romantic, a realist, and a Believer. I like a good joke, and a bad one even better. I admire all ladies for the innate beauty that is in each one, but my heart is sworn to the fair and gentle Lady Lorelei, who has consented to share my life and my name.

Monday, August 07, 2006

The Company of Broken Men

The Company of Broken Men

Homeless and clanless, they gather in the hills,
Cursed to wander, living mouth to hand,
Snatching what they can from cruel fate,
Fighting because there’s nothing left to them.

Once they were gentlemen of high repute
Sworn to serve and defend laird and clan,
Til constant warfare tore them from their place
And turned them loose to live as best they can.

Some lost lords to battle and defeat.
Some turned outlaw after some rash deed.
Each has his reason he is now adrift
Mongst violent men joined now by mutual need.

Whoever’s strongest, or provides most meat,
Or loot, or means to keep their bellies fed
Commands their loyalty until he fails,
Risking that he too should lose his head.

At night within their camps beneath the stars,
They sare into their burning fires and dream
Of when they were free and honorable men,
And wonder how they can their souls redeem.

A reiver’s life is violent hard and short,
And like as not to end upon a rope.
He who would rehabilitate these men
Must offer them some modicum of hope.

The Laird who claims these men and treats them well
Will find them willing to follow him through hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home